Star Wars and other movies have turned the words rebel and rebellion into something good. Meanwhile the words religion and legalism have been transformed by hip preachers into something uncool.
They say we are saved by grace and not by works (acts of religion and legalism) but let me ask you a few questions.
- Is it work for you not to kill?
- Is it work for you not to bear false witness?
- Is it work for you not to commit adultery?
- Is it work for you to respect the name of God?
- Is it work for you not to make or worship idols?
- Is it work to take a day off and not work at all?
- Is it work to respect your mom and dad?
- Is it work to not steal?
- Is it work for you to not covet another’s property?
Is it really laborious to keep the law? I admit I’ve had issues with or broken all of these, but as I’ve given my life to Jesus they’ve become easier to keep. You would think not working or causing others to work would be easy, but I’m still not doing well with Sabbath keeping. However, since truly turning to Christ keeping most of the Ten Commandments has not been work at all.
In Romans in the New Testament we are told to love and that love fulfils the law. Romans 13:8, 13:10.
I guess that’s my final question.
- Is love work?
Rebel against the mainstream. Make you religion Christianity and make part of your relationship with Jesus the keeping of his law.